Sunday, March 29, 2009

Easy Whole Wheat Rolls

I tired these today and they were pretty good. I halved the recipe and didn't use all of the flour. It was a lot of flour! I still have about a cup left. They were really, really easy! I got the recipe from cooksrecipes.com.

Whole Wheat Rolls

3 cups whole wheat
3 cups all-purpose or bread flour
2 (1/4-ounce) packages active dry yeast or 5 teaspoons
1/2 cup warm water*
1/2 cup milk, scalded
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
1 tablespoon salt (I didn't add this)
2 large eggs, beaten

Stir together whole wheat flour and flour in medium bowl. In separate small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water (105°F to 115°F).
In a large mixing bowl, combine milk, oil, honey and salt; cool to lukewarm. Add yeast mixture, eggs and 1/4 of the flour mixture. Beat well with an electric mixer. Add remaining flour in stages, beating by hand after each addition. When dough gets too stiff to mix, knead by hand on a clean, lightly floured work surface until smooth. Place in a large lightly greased bowl and cover with a dish towel. Set in a warm place and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. Press the air out again and form into small fist-sized rolls and place on greased baking sheets.
While rising a second time, preheat oven to 350°F.
After doubled in size, roll dough into small (about 1-inch thick) balls and place, in groups of threes, into a well-buttered muffin pan.
Bake for 12 minutes, until golden brown.
Makes 24 rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment